Any time a smaller vehicle collides with a commercial truck the resulting damage may be extensive, expensive, and sometimes even deadly. These accidents involving semis are often caused by a reckless or careless driver or a neglectful trucking company. A Pekin truck accident lawyer could help you take the necessary steps to determine who is at fault for the wreck that injured you or a loved one. A hardworking attorney could ensure you know your rights, get answers to your questions, and seek the compensation you deserve for your financial losses and pain and suffering.
Why is a Truck Crash Case Different?
Due to their size, a collision with a big rig is likely to cause more extensive damage to your vehicle, but more importantly, you are more likely to suffer serious injuries or to lose a loved one. In Illinois, accidents involving large trucks account for more than 10 percent of all motor vehicle accident fatalities.
Because of the likelihood of greater damage and the more severe injuries that can result, a truck accident claim can be a more complicated case than one involving passenger vehicles, and often requires the skill of a local lawyer. There are a few reasons this is true:
- More extensive damages, more serious injuries and greater likelihood for fatalities means more experience with these claims will be valuable
- Liability can be difficult to determine as there can be multiple factors involved: everything from poor maintenance to improper loading to driver error can result in an accident.
- There are state and federal regulations that must be adhered to when operating a commercial truck. Were inspections done on schedule? Did the driver exceed his road hours? Was maintenance completed as required? Determining liability requires understanding the regulations and determining whether there were violations involved.
- Commercial trucking carriers will have experienced legal teams to defend them to guarantee they pay out as little as possible.
- Liability may be shared between various parties when a commercial vehicle is involved. The vehicle owner, the driver, the trucking company, the mechanics, the manufacturer of the equipment, or even the shipper who booked the load could be liable for the accident.
How Do You Prove Fault in an Accident?
Proving fault in an accident is the foundation of any claim for damages. Insurance companies may heavily defend claims against them. When a commercial vehicle is involved, an experienced truck wreck attorney in Pekin could know when it is time to hire an expert in accident reconstruction who may do things like examine traffic signals or vehicle data history to establish liability. Contributory negligence, which is assigning partial fault, may also come into play in Illinois. As these cases can be especially complex, discussing the facts of your case and your rights with an experienced lawyer is a good idea.
What Kind of Compensation Can Result from a Semi-Truck Crash
There are two types of damages that can be awarded following any vehicle accident.
Economic damages are financial losses that occur directly resulting from the accident. Medical expenses, lost wages – current and future – and lost earning capacity are all examples of economic damages.
Non-economic damages are what are considered “intangible losses”. This includes things like pain and suffering, trauma, mental anguish, disfigurement, and loss of companionship when you’ve suffered the loss of a loved one.
A third type of compensation exists for cases where it can be proven that the injuries you suffered were the result of the liable party’s willful, malicious, reckless, or fraudulent actions. This type of compensation is known as punitive damages and is specifically designed to punish the offender and compel others to avoid the same activity in the future.
I was Injured in a Pekin Truck Collision – Should I Hire an Attorney?
The complexity of a case that involves a commercial vehicle motivates many people to hire an experienced 18-wheeler accident attorney in the area. These accidents may require the help of experts who understand things like accident reconstruction and vehicle inspection reports. Because the injuries that result from a truck crash are frequently so severe it can be important to consult with medical experts to determine the long-term impact of injuries on you and your family.
A Pekin attorney with truck accident experience could understand how to work with and negotiated with insurance companies to get the best possible result for a client. Working with an attorney may give you the best chance to get the compensation you deserve. A personal injury attorney has experience with things like:
- Accident reports
- Evidence gathering and preservations
- Reviewing medical records
- Compiling bills and expenses to properly value your losses
A seasoned lawyer will listen to the facts of your accident, answer any questions you may have, explain your legal rights, work to clearly establish fault and liability, and recommend a strategy to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Call a Pekin Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you were injured in a truck crash, we encourage you to contact our office today. We represent clients on a contingency basis, which means we only get paid when you recover for your damages. A consultation is always free.
The sooner you call, the better. If you cannot come to us, we will come to you. Contact us for a consultation to find out how we can help.