Motorcycle riders are particularly vulnerable to serious injuries due to the lack of protection available on a motorcycle. Unfortunately, motorcycle riders are more than five times more likely to be injured and more than 26 times more likely to die in an accident than automobile passengers. Motorcycle accidents also differ from car accidents and other personal injury claims because the not only are the injuries typically more serious, but far too often insurance companies try to blame the motorcyclist for their accident.
If you or a loved one were harmed in a motorcycle wreck, consider speaking with an experienced injury attorney in the area. A Shelbyville motorcycle accident lawyer could provide essential legal guidance and help you recover the compensation you need to move forward.
Why Should You Hire an Attorney for a Motorcycle Crash?
When a driver’s negligence results in life-changing injuries, expensive damages, or even death, you need a knowledgeable lawyer to advocate for you. While you may hope the at-fault driver’s insurance will take care of your losses, some drivers illegally drive uninsured. Even when someone has insurance coverage, insurance companies do not always treat injured people fairly. Unfortunately, some insurance adjusters work to settle your case for the lowest amount possible.
An experienced motorcycle wreck lawyer in the area could help in many ways, often at a time in life when an injured rider really needs it. Here are a few of the ways a Shelbyville lawyer could help:
- Gathering evidence to prove your claim;
- Identifying all insurance policies and sources of recovery available to compensate you for your losses;
- Negotiating reductions in medical bills and liens;
- Identifying all of your potential damages;
- Negotiating on your behalf with insurance adjusters and their lawyers to maximize your recovery; and
- Making the insurance claim and, if necessary, litigation, as easy for you as possible, so you can focus on your recovery and getting your life back.
By working with an experienced legal team, you improve your chances of a favorable resolution to your injury claim .
When Should I Hire an Attorney after a Motorcycle Wreck?
As a general rule, we recommend hiring a lawyer as soon as possible after an accident, for three reasons:.
- A lawyer can help you gather all the evidence you will need to file your claim effectively;
- A lawyer can deal with the insurance company for you and help you avoid common mistakes that can damage or destroy your case;
- A lawyer can work to make sure your medical bills are processed in the optimal way to help minimize your bills and maximize how much of your settlement you keep.
The sooner you get in touch with a Shelbyville lawyer, the sooner they can start working on your motorcycle accident claim.
What Deadlines Apply to Motorcycle Accident Cases in Illinois?
The statute of limitations for motorcycle collision cases is usually two years from the date of the accident. (See 735 ILCS 5/13-202). However, there are some exceptions. For example, when a minor becomes injured, the statute of limitations will not typically begin to run until the child’s 18th birthday. Additionally, cases against government entities may only have a one-year statute of limitations. If a case is not filed within the appropriate deadline, the claim is likely to be dismissed and barred. The best way to determine exactly what deadlines apply to your situation is set up a free consultation with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in the area to discuss your case.
What Kind of Compensation Could I Receive as an Injured Motorcyclist?
A Shelbyville motorcycle wreck attorney can help you identify all the types of damages you may be entitled to recover in your claim. Depending on the facts and circumstances of your case, these may include:
- Payments to cover past and future medical expenses,
- Compensation for pain and suffering, past and present, physical and emotional,
- Compensation for lost wages, profits, or earing capacity, and,
- Disability and disfigurement (scarring) damages.
Under egregious circumstances, punitive damages may be available. Speak with an attorney about your options to know if it applies to your case.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Shelbyville?
It will not cost anything to sit down together to discuss your case. We always offer free initial consultations for injury cases. If you want to hire our firm to represent you, we do not charge by the hour or ask for a retainer to work on your behalf. Instead, we handle motorcycle accident cases on a “contingency fee” basis, which means our firm’s fee is contingent on recovering money for you. Put differently, there is no fee unless and until we win. In most cases, our firm charges a one-third contingency fee, which is customary for most injury law firms throughout the state.
What Should I Do After a Motorcycle Crash?
If you or a loved one are involved in a motorcycle wreck in Shelbyville, our attorneys recommend you do the following:
- Report the accident to your insurance agent as soon as possible.
- Get evaluated by a medical expert and get the medical care you need.
- In most cases, we recommend clients submit their medical bills to their own health insurance instead of directing medical providers to bill the other party’s insurance carrier.
- Do not admit fault or give a written or recorded statement to any insurance company without consulting a lawyer beforehand.
- Keep a record of all of your other losses related to the accident. Examples may include lost wages, costs for services you would have usually performed yourself and have been prevented from performing by your injuries (pet care, lawn care, household cleaning), and expenses related to repair of other damaged property.
- Do not agree to an early settlement of your case. Both the other party’s insurance provider and your own may offer you cash if you resolve the case swiftly. Do not sign a settlement until after you consult with an experienced Shelbyville motorcycle accident lawyer. In most cases, hiring an attorney can help you recover more compensation.
Get Help from a Shelbyville Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you were injured in a motorcycle crash due to someone else’s negligence, we may be able to help. Dealing with medical bills, injuries, and other losses can be overwhelming, especially without the assistance of a legal professional.
A Shelbyville motorcycle accident lawyer could help you throughout the process, from gathering all the evidence and determining damages to tirelessly negotiating with the insurance company on your behalf. To get help now, please contact us today for a free consultation.