I keep an emergency kit in my car for my own safety and for the safety of my family and my passengers. It’s a good idea to put a small backpack together to keep in your trunk with basic items you might need if you were to break down for an extended period of time, particularly in poor conditions or in circumstances where help may not be readily available.
Below is a list of items to consider including in your emergency kit:
- Jumper cables and/or battery jump pack.
- Flares, reflectors, and a reflective vest.
- Blanket (or space blanket), warm clothes, poncho
- Flashlight with extra batteries, or crank flashlight
- Basic tool kit, multi-tool, and duct tape
- First aid kit, prescriptions, sanitary items, paper towels
- Food & Water. Granola bars / energy bars
- Ice scraper and a small shovel
- Additional misc. supplies if traveling with babies, children, or pets