Starting and running a business in America today without a good attorney aboard, is a little like owning and operating a car that has no lights, wipers, or a spare tire. You can’t always drive in daylight with good weather. Probably sooner than later, you’ll need good legal advice. The legal speed bumps, hazards, and obstacles are many:
- Startup issues: choosing and forming the right business organization — incorporation, partnership/stockholder agreements, bylaws, corporate documentation, etc.
- Preparing and reviewing contracts
- Confidentiality and non-compete agreements; releases and hold harmless agreements
- Leases, subleases, and rental agreements
- Landlord/tenant issues
- Real estate transactions
- Construction and contractor problems
- Reviewing banking and financing documents, mortgages, promissory notes, etc.
- Employee issues — labor negotiations and agreements, dismissals, harassment issues, worker’s compensation and unemployment claims
- Regulatory, compliance, zoning, and other governmental issues
- Response to litigation threats
- Small claims representation
- Collections problems
- Succession planning
If you already find yourself in a legal ditch with a flat over one of these issues, you need advice and assistance now. But, if you’re just worried about the road ahead, even better. You have a lot riding on your business and it’s prudent to protect your investment by identifying and avoiding legal risk. I can help you understand the decisions you have to make and make sure they’re executed properly and legally, without ruining your bottom line.
Review my biography, and you’ll see that I am experienced in business law. I have served as a General Counsel and Director of Logistics, providing strategic and legal counsel to the leadership team of a mid-sized trucking company. While working with law firms in central Illinois, I provided legal counsel to business clients in a variety of areas (including business law, labor law, municipal law, commercial litigation, real estate transactions, etc.). I am fully prepared to help you with yours. I will take the time to listen to you, get to know your business and goals, and learn about the legal challenges you’re facing. I’ll represent your company with diligence, using my knowledge, negotiating skills, and relationships I’ve formed, to avoid litigation when possible and successfully deal with any regulatory hurdles. When routine legal documents are required, I’ll make sure they’re done right. When appropriate, I’ll aggressively represent you and your interests in any dispute or litigation.
Having the right business attorney can be like having GPS — let me help you stay on the road to prosperity and get to where you want to go. Contact me for a no-cost initial consultation.